Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Learning

You know, this weight loss thing is teaching me so much. I'm learning self control for one thing. Today my daughter and I went to hang out at the Borders at the mall for awhile. In the past that has tended to include coffee and one of their baked goodies...or even a Cinnabon from the mall food court.

Not today. I didn't even get a coffee, for fear it would make me crave the other stuff!

I'm learning perseverance. I can't tell you how many times I've worked out even though I REALLY didn't want to! Of course, there are also a few times I've not wanted to and just DIDN'T, but most of the time I press through and do something, even if it's a short one.

I'm learning patience. I HATE the weeks I lose only one or two pounds. HATE it! It seems like it is going so slow and that I'll lose steam before I ever get to my goal...but I'm moving on anyway. It's coming off, and that is what really matters. I try to remind myself that 'THEY' say that if you do it a pound or two a week, you're more likely to keep it off. Hopefully that is the truth!

I'm learning moderation. I decided at the beginning of this journey I was counting NO food off limits, and I've stuck to that decision. The key is that I've learned to only sample things or stick to a couple times a month. At the graduation party last weekend I had cake -- but it was only half of a small slice. I had fries at Wendy's last week -- but it was only 4 or 5 of Hubby's fries, not an entire order. I had an ice cream sandwich today for a snack -- but it was only a mini sized one worth 110 calories. That is my big diet plan...treats in moderation.

Of course, this totally doesn't include pizza, which I still have on average once a week. Baby steps, people!

I'm learning that I'm capable of doing more than I thought I was. I never thought I could run on the treadmill at all, but I am! Oh, it is mostly only a minute or two at a time, but it is more than I thought possible! I never thought I could stick to a diet this long (the longest before was a month) but here I am two months into it and I'm still doing alright.

Secret confession: I wrote this post because I'm struggling right now and I wanted to encourage myself a bit. It is that lovely time of month when my PMS is kicking in and not only do I want to eat (and eat and eat) but I also want to lay around and be gloomy all day, too. I needed to remind myself of the good things this diet is bringing into my life, so that I get through this next week without gaining ten pounds back!

My diet is NOT perfect and I am NOT doing everything right, but I am much better off now than I was two months ago, and I'm learning that it's alright to struggle as long as I don't give up completely. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment